Saturday 26 November 2016

Funko POP! vinyl product research...



A couple of weeks back Patrick asked me what my dream job would be - i've had so many, but i wasn't expecting the question, however working for FUNKO, designing their POP! Vinyl bobble head characters immediately sprang into my mind. Pop! Vinyl is a vinyl toy line created by Funko in 2010 and are based on the Japanese style known as Chibi, which means 'short & cute'. They cover a ridiculously huge range of licensed brands and pop culture such as Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Television & Movies.You name the person there's more than likely a Pop! Vinyl version of them!





The more i think about it, the more i think i want to do that more than anything in the world?! It'll probably wear off, but it did make me think to myself, how would someone get a job doing that at Funko?(probably a que to investigate right there).

Following this conversation, but coincidently, i found myself scoping out the POP! Vinyl section at Forbidden Planet (online and in store) for the WWE range in particularly (For the Ultimate Warrior figure, even more in particularly).


My childhood hero, the Ultimate Warrior Pop! Vinyl, and the start of a possible new obsession.



I also noticed that amoungst their WWE range included Rey Mysterio, a Luchador character (above) - which got me thinking about proposing a range of Pop! Vinyl toys for my LuchaGod characters, as an alternative to me customising the 'action man' style wrestling figures i bought at the market last month (below).This could involve me customising a 'D.I.Y' POP! figure, which is basically a white blank version that you can paint over; or the more likely method of producing digital mocks.




My thinking behind this is that i feel the Chibi- style aesthetic would suit the Luchador characters that i'm designing better than the realistic looking wrestling figures. Having such big head means i could focus the attention to the mask design, as in the poster designs - with the realistic action figure it would be hard to get the details painted right on such a small head. Another reason is that the Pop! Vinyl figures certainly to appeal to a whole age range of nerds, as opposed the action figure 'dolls', which you're unlikely to find anyone over the age of 12 buying ( unless you're a 35yo who just found some at a market).




The customIsing preparation started straight away by searching for decent size resolution blank boxes and figures to superimpose the LuchaGods designs on to.


The blank D.I.Y POP! as mentioned earlier.



The customising process all begins with meEven though i'm neither famous or fictional, i know at least 2 people that would buy this one.I'll send Funko an email about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment