Wednesday 23 November 2016

Laser Cutter induction…

Finally, after a 3-week wait (plus 2 1/2 years before anyone even told me there was such a thing) i got my induction on the Laser Cutter - and i can safely say it's changed the way i'll live my life from this day on (only partly over exaggerating there) It.is. AWESOME!




I don't think I'm the only who feels like this - the guys i was getting inducted with and people I've shown my test results to have had similar reactions; that of their jaws dropping! It's mindblowing what this machine can do, I'm just gutted i wasn't pointed in the right direction before now-  i feel this would've been just as useful to our (possible) practice as say, photography studio, bookbinding or Indesign lessons. 


Examples of laser settings


But i've found it now and I'm going to use it right until I lose it. Wood, everything wood - don't know what I'm going to make, but it sure as hell's going to be made out of wood! Everyone i know is getting laser engraved items for xmas!





After the actual induction, Michael ( the wood workshop tutor guy), left us to have a practice on our own - i hadn't got anything prepared to use ( or so i thought) but i managed to find some jpg scans that were lying about on my Mac desktop. They were black and white, with halftones, ideal for the engraving process, so i was told.

On screen prep
Final engraving




The results were amazing - even the thinnest of lines or finest details it'll recreate, with laser-like accuracy (obviously). My brain started to melt a bit just thinking of all the possible images i had or wanted to make that i could have etched onto various woods. Also, turns out you dont have to use purely black with halftones - it'll recreate shades by engraving at different depths, which again is mindblowing - but also really handy that i don't have to give myself a headache with bit mapping my images!



Back on the wrestling theme - the whole wood engraving effect reminded me of these WWF ice cream bars from the early 90's. It's a vague link i know.

With this brand new knowledge, i was left with a whole new challenge; how to incorporate a laser-etched wooden 'object' into the product range of my Luchador series.

No comments:

Post a Comment