Tuesday 26 April 2016

Shop Lifted - Final Print & Evaluation

Only the second publication I've printed & bound and although it's not been as 'pro' executed as i would've liked, it's not a total write off. I was advised to use 200gsm stock rather than the 300gsm i was intending too. This was down to the fact that 300gsm paper isn't designed to fold, so when it is folded it starts to flake and crack. It was a handy tip-off, but i was a bit worried that the final book, when stapled together, as its only a small amount of pages would be a bit flimsy & not feel as professional. But better to be too thin than to have my design work flaking all over the floor.


Just when i thought i'd got through all the PRINT/FOLD/STAPLE/TRIM process steps without fault, alas inexplicably i came unstuck at the final step; using the 'big handle' guillotine! 

Straight off the cutting mat (after 'surgery')


For reasons beyond me, it was trimming the edge of the pages with a curve - so i had to go in and perform some manual surgery on the individual pages, whilst they were all stapled together. Not ideal, and it's left my book a good few millimetres smaller than it should be, but i'd over-catered for trim on my images so it didn't disrupt the final appearance too much. The staples job wasn't as tidy as i'd was aiming for & it was my first time using the folding machine as well and the creases in my belly bands weren't as crisp and accurate as i could've hoped for.

Belly band selection

It was a good call on my behalf  booking that back-up print slot, as ideally i'd like to try again and iron out the problems, but as we were told last week - 'You can't polish a turd' - if it's a shit idea, it's still going to be shit no matter how well you fold/ staple/ trim that shit. So i may stick with what I've done, rather pile on the pressure of doing again but better, only to mess it up again, and waste time i should be using to finish of the rest of the module. 

There, i said it - "i'm leaving something as it is, I'm not going back in to try and perfect it."

















Unsightly trimmed edges aside, I'm fairly happy with the final outcome. Had i 'got going' earlier on with the practical response then i would've taken more time to consider the materials of the book pages in general. I realise its only a few pages, but I'm not sure if what I've done feels enough like a publication? Having said that, an initial afterthought i had was to have printed it in the style of a fold out promotional leaflet - like you find in supermarkets and that get posted though your letterboxes. In which case the paper only need to have been super thin, and shiny. All this makes me more annoyed that i was so slow off the blocks - as I'm sat here typing about other ways i could've presented my publication, but I've run out of time to actually investigate them and try them out. The more i think about it, the fold out ALDI flyer approach may have been a more effective solution. 

I'll have to (again) put this one down to trial, error, and pulling my finger out early doors!


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*UPDATE*

Ok, so i did use my extra print slot to make the wrong things right, and I'm glad i did, as that extra bit of perseverance paid off. There were no wonky trimming issues this time around (as i used the standard guillotine, one page at a time.) Took my time with the folding and stapling and made the cover larger than the inside leaves as i'd initially planned. I'd also earlier indicated that i would perforate all the pages to add to the 'take what you want' aspect of the book, which would allow to reader to tear pages out of the book if they so wanted to put them in a frame. I was apprehensive about trying this out on the original print out, as i only had the one - but now i had a new and improved copy i went ahead and tried it out. I'm glad i didnt go ahead and use it on the final submission, as although it may help with the general theme of the book, practically speaking I'm not sure it really worked. 







The stock being quite thick didn't really perforate that well and when torn looked a bit tatty, without a clean 'tear'. Plus i was concerned that after continuous page turns, the pages may accidently get pulled out anyway, so i made the decision to let this idea go. I did also redo my belly bands on a thinner stock which was much easier to fold around the book without creating scruffy looking creases. 


All in all i'm a lot happier with the final results.See.







No comments:

Post a Comment