Friday 22 April 2016

Publication Development

As i set about producing the rest of the digital 'scamp' imagery that would form the content of my book, i also took a bit of time to try and formulate some sort of title for it. That came in the form of a very quick word association mind map thing, which was basically some scribblings in my notepad. But it did the trick!


BOOK TITLE GENERATING: KEY WORDS

• Rework • Borrowing • Steal • Twist • Minimal • 
Extracting • Abstracting • 'take what i want' • Product • Barcode •Digital

From these starting points, which are all words that refer to the contents within the book, there were two final possible titles to chose from.

EXTRCT > ABSTRCT
Referring to the fact that i'm extracting the bits i want from these products, then making abstract, digital images from them. The missing letters also reflect  the 'extracting' of the parts i want to make something different, but still recognisable. 

SHOP LIFT/ LIFTER/ LIFTED
Based on shop bought items - design mocks made using photoSHOP - I've 'lifted' the parts i want from these shop products, as a shoplifter would. 


After the draft imagery was completed and ready to be taken to the vector stage & whilst the ideas were still fresh in my mind,i played about with a simple logo/type treatment to go onto the front cover of the publication. I went with the SHOP LIFTED title as i felt it related more specifically to what i was doing here: 'stealing' (borrowing). The addition of the Mac PhotoShop hand-grab icon is to indicate the connection to digital art & the 'taking' of various elements to compose my own. 


Below is the mock-up book, of the mock-up designs that will be making for my final publication. I keep referring back to the quote by Ashlee Rubenstein, which I've also included at the front of the book. It may not be this 'famous quote' from a world renowned figure, but her words reflect exactly what I'm doing here - they also reassure me that what I've done isn't just copying the packaging of popular consumables, even though it is, a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment