Friday 8 April 2016

Artists aesthetics research

It may seem a bit like something you'd do in at school, in art lessons, (and i probably haven't done this since i was a t school)but i just went a looked up a whole list of famous artists from the past, who all had different but distinct styles, and made myself familiar with some of thier works. I'm contanstly looking to the artists that i follow on instagram,or online for inspiration - but it struck me as i was researching, that i've totally forgotten to look backwards, at the real pioneers and to 'take' inspiration from how they produced their work. I was especially drawn to some of the abstract & expressionism painters, namely Paul Klee & Hans Hofmann,Kandinsky also. 
above & below: examples of Hans Hofmann's work



















Paul Klee 'portrait of an equilibrist'


Kandinsky 'Braunlich'

Their combinations of loose & wild brush strokes with the additions of controlled,sharp digital-eqsue lines & squares of bright block colour instantly resonated with me; as someone who has been striving to find a way of producing work with both an analogue & digital tone & process to them. Several of Hofmann & Klee's pieces are perfect examples of what i would like to be achieving in my own practice. Hofmann's work, which before now i'd never been aware of, also struck a chord with me; as looking at his work and mine,its not initially clear what its about, but the colours, media and composition are what keeps me looking at it, which is similar sounding feedback that i tend to recieve a fair bit when tutors/peers review my work.

Amongst other distinct styles i investigated below include: Keith Haring, Picasso & Andy Warhol.


With all this new inspiration in front of me, i now need to find a way of incorporating the 'borrowing' aspect to it all, without just simply creating a book of 'imitation artwork', produced by a guy with vey little paint know-how (me).   

No comments:

Post a Comment